Thursday, January 31, 2013

Homemade Laundry Soap

Image courtesy of Keerati/ FreeDigitalPhotos.net

After reading 20 almost identical recipes on the internet, I just picked the one that seemed most common.

Homemade Laundry Detergent 
1 bar grated laundry soap (I used Fels-Naptha but I am pretty sure you could use anything)
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup Borax
20ish drops of essential oil of your choice (this time I used grapefruit)

I started by grating my bar of laundry soap on the smallest holes on my regular grater.  Next I added the other dry ingredients into a big jar with a lid.  I let my 4-year-old shake it for a while until it seemed pretty well mixed up.  Next I added the essential oil until I thought the smell was strong enough.  This will vary by which scent you are using and how much you want it to smell, hence 20ish.  Then it was back to shaking.  You could also add a few drops to the detergent right before it went in instead, but I can't be messing with bottles and carefully dropping drops in at laundry time, as I am normally juggling a baby in my arms at the same time.  When you are ready to do the laundry you just measure out a tablespoon (or a bit more if your clothes are really dirty) and you are good to go.  I bought a cheap coffee scoop at the grocery store which is 2 Tbs and works really well to have something to leave with the soap.  Also you will either need to use warm water in your wash to dissolve the soap or dissolve it before hand in a little bit of water and add it.  And apparently you should add all laundry soap to the bottom of the top-loading washer (hello, how long have I been an adult and not known this?) before putting your clothes in so it can dissolve better/have more time in the water.

I love this recipe.  I am a cheapskate and so I am always buying cheap laundry detergent, which often leaves me with super stinky stuff.  This way is even cheaper and smells amazing!!  It is also safe for HE/front loading washers.  Enjoy!

P.S. I bought the ingredients (except the oil) at the regular grocery store (Winco) by the other laundry soaps for much cheaper than the above links on Amazon.  I just included them here so you can see what they look like.  Or if you can't find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment